In this update:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- CHAPTER Board Refresh
- Awards of Excellence Nominations
- Spring Virtual Recital
- Teacher Workday
- Teams Notice
- Return to In-Person
- Parking Lot Safety
- Field Day Volunteers
- Virtual Field Day
- In-Person Field Day
- Moving Up
- Specialists’ Newsletter
- Weekly Snack List
- Spring Baskets
Important upcoming dates:
- May 3 – Family Satisfaction Survey Closes
- May 3 – Awards of Excellence Nominations Open
- May 7 – Courageous Conversations
- May 7 – Material Pickup for REACH Students
- May 11-12 – Virtual Spring Recital
- May 14 – Material Pickup for REACH Students
- May 21 – Material Pickup for REACH Students
- May 24-28 – Spirit Week
- May 28 – Material Pickup for REACH Students
- May 28 – School closed to students for Teacher Workday
- May 31 – Memorial Day – No School, No Childcare
- June 1 – TADS Enrollment Due
- June 4 – Material Pickup for REACH Students
- June 14 & 15 – Student-Led Conferences
- June 16 – K-2 Field Day
- June 17 – 3-5 Field Day
- June 17 – K-4 Last Day of School
- June 18 - No school for K-4, In-Person Moving Up for Grade 5
- June 21 – Camp Explorations Begins
Your perspective is unique; your voice is a powerful leadership tool that influences our decision-making and drives change. By completing the Parent Survey, you articulate what your vision is for your child and family. It provides you with an opportunity to share input on specific programs, practices, and policies which can help our staff assess needs, wants, and overall satisfaction for both students and parents. Your input allows us to reassess various aspects of the school, such as innovation, process streamlining, and better learning initiatives. Let your voice be heard and participate in the Parent Survey found here.
CHAPTER Board Refresh - In addition to our elected CHAPTER Board of Directors, we have a handful of important appointed positions. These positions will be filled by the outgoing board prior to the end of May. If you are interested in participating in the 2021-2022 CHAPTER Board of Directors, please reply to this email noting your desired position by 5 pm on Wednesday, May 5. Thank you to all who have indicated their interest already. Q’s? Email Ryan Setting or Maria Lao Hui at [email protected]. Here are the available positions:
- Grade Level Representatives. Serves as the Board liaison to their assigned grade level. Presents grade-level-specific issues to the Board of Directors for review during scheduled meetings. Organizes and facilitates grade-level communications and social events. Participates in CHAPTER fundraisers and events as the grade representative.
- Auction Co-Chairs (in training). For our 2022 auction, we are seeking Co-Chairs in Training. These individual(s) will shadow our current Auction Co-Chairs in planning and executing our 2022 Auction. The Gala and Auction is or marquis fundraiser and a cornerstone community-building event. As such it is critical to the success of our organization. The Auction Co-Chairs(s) in Training would then continue into 2023 as our lead Auction Chairs.
Awards of Excellence Nominations Now Open - May is officially Staff & Teacher Appreciation Month here at CHA. Every year we set aside this month to recognize the talents of the dedicated, creative, and hardworking people who care and educate our children, families, and each other. So if any of our staff has impressed or inspired you with their exceptional care and support over this past year, please take a moment to say thanks by nominating them for an Award of Excellence. All nominations are due by May 28th. Click here to visit the nomination website. There is a list of the Award descriptions here.
Spring Virtual Recital, May 11 & 12 – At the moment, it’s going to be a short one as Mr. Rees has only received 16 submissions! If you are interested in participating, please submit a video of your child’s performance to Mr. Rees by Saturday, May 1st. You can send him a link via Teams or email to [email protected]. You can also upload the video yourself on Teams to Parents General / Files / Spring Recital. Video requirements are that you have your child announce their name and the title of their piece, the piece needs to be under 2 minutes if possible, and very short is fine. Q’s? Bob Rees
Teacher Workday, May 28 - School will be closed to students on Friday, May 28 for a Teacher Workday. This is a new date, so please add it to your calendar.
REACH Reminder – We appreciate your patience as we transition back to being on in-person school, not an online school. We want to take this opportunity to remind parents that if your in-person child is excluded we need 24 hours notice for them to join online classes. Students who do not attend in-person classes on a given day are welcome to join the online class if it’s happening, or use class recordings to catch up on the work if recordings are available, but teachers will not be able to prep materials for them. For students who are in-person, we will be following our normal attendance procedures that are outlined in the Parent Handbook which you can find here. Classes that have all students back in person will meet in person, not online in Teams unless there is a good reason to use be online – for example as a collaboration tool for small group meetings where it is difficult to remain 6 feet apart in person. These changes will be part of an evolving process as we determine how we use Teams next year when we are not running an online school.
Return to In-Person – The last date for students being able to switch from REACH online school to in-person learning will be Tuesday, June 1. We will need to be notified by May 26th. You can find all the information you need here.
Parking Lot Safety – When you are dropping off or picking up your child outside of the car line hours (8:00-8:30 and 3:00-3:15 for K or 3:30-3:45 for 1-5), please walk up to the front door with them to do the morning health screening for drop off or walk up to the front door and wait for them to come outside for pick up. Students should not be walking through the parking lot without an adult, so we kindly ask that parents please escort their child to and from the school entrance. Thank you for your cooperation with our safety practices.
Field Day Volunteers - Parent volunteers are very much appreciated and play an integral role in the success of the Field Day. They assist by joining in the preparations prior to and during the event and by helping to oversee the various games and activities. Volunteers will be the only parents allowed onsite. If you are interested in getting involved as a volunteer, please click here. Please note the two different field day dates for different grade levels. Q’s? Email Coach Sturgess.
Virtual Field Day - Fifth graders are designing at-home Field Day events and challenges for all online learners to try. These challenges will be recorded and explained by the 5th grade and shared with their peers through Teams. Every student will be receiving a CHA ball cap, snack pack, and some other prizes. These will be sent home in the Friday Folders on Friday, June 11 so students will have them ready for the virtual Field Day on June 17. Online students are encouraged to record themselves completing the different events and challenges and upload them to the Teams channel to share with their peers and the CHA community. Unfortunately, online students will not be able to attend the in-person Field Day.
In-Person Field Day - The 2021 in-person Field Day will be split across two days and will be held on the CHA field on campus. The reason for splitting this event across two days is to ensure we comply with State regulations for outside gatherings and keep all students safe. Wednesday, June 16th, K-2 students, and Thursday, June 17th, 3-5 students. Please see the school calendar for timings.
Moving Up – Similar to last year, our Moving Up Ceremony will be virtual for K-4 and school will be closed to K-4 students. Mr. Rees will be sharing a link on Friday, June 18 for families to view at their leisure. We will host a live graduation ceremony at CHA on the field for our fifth-grade students and their parents only. The event will occur from 9:00-10:00. Fifth graders will need to arrive by 8:30 for Health Checks and to prepare for the ceremony. Parents are invited to park and head to the field for their Health Checks. Fifth graders will be included in the Moving Up Ceremony video as we will not video the ceremony on the field.
Spring Baskets - We received 156 orders this year, which is amazing. With everyone’s help, we were able to distribute all the baskets. Thank you to Grace Guan and ZhiYan Cao for organizing, plus their team of volunteers - LiLi Zhou (Alex and Irene Qu – K and 3rd grade), Helian Ding (Daniel Li - 3rd grade), Joyce Zhou (Terrence Li - 3rd grade), Cherry Tao (Rosie Yin - 4th grade), Jiakun Liu (Jace Liu - K), Mo Zhou (Elena Guo - K)
CHA Specialists’ Newsletter – You can view this week’s newsletter here. If you have any questions about the content, please contact your child’s teacher directly. You can find all our teachers here, and you can find information about the individual programs here.
Weekly Snack List - You can view the snacks Chef Liam will be offering to in-person students next week here at the bottom of the page. If your child is not eating the school snack, you are welcome to send a nut-free alternative to school in their backpack.
- Return to In-Person - We will have 248 of our 295 students back as of Monday, April 26th. Thank you for the trust you place in us to keep your children safe. You will find the information you need here. Q’s: Email [email protected]
- Summer Camp – Camp Explorations information is available, and it is time to register! Everything you need to know about summer camp can be found here, and don’t forget to take advantage of the Early Bird Discount by registering prior to May 14, 2021! Q’s: Email [email protected]
- Lost and Found - Mabels Labels sells lovely iron-on labels that also benefit the PTA. You can find ordering information here.
- Previous issues of Campus Updates can be viewed here.
Holly Senaga, Head of School