In this update:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- Lunar New Year
- Helping Hats
- In-Person Parents Afternoon Carline
- Key Dates 2021-22
- March Lunch Orders
- New Staff
- Snow Channel
- March Conferences Childcare
- Specialists’ Newsletter
- Weekly Snack List
- Update on COVID-19
Important upcoming dates:
- February 15 – President’s Day – No School, No Childcare
- February 16-19 – Mid-Winter Break – No School, Childcare Provided
- February 22 – Third Grade Returns In-Person. No school for 3rd Grade REACH students.
- February 26 – Material Pickup for REACH Students
- February 26 – March Lunch Order Form Closes
- March 1 - Month of Giving starts and the online auction opens at Noon
- March 1-5 – Read Across America Spirit Week
- March 3 – 4th and 5th Grade – Teacher Prep Day. No School or Childcare for 4th and 5th Grade students.
- March 3 – Deadline to sign up for childcare for March parent-teacher conferences
- March 5 – Courageous Conversations meeting at 11 AM
- March 5 - Online auction closes at 8 pm
- March 8 – 4th and 5th Grade – No REACH
- March 8 – Report cards sent home
- March 9 – 4th and 5th Grade – All students resume class
- March 10-12 – Online Parent/Teacher Conferences
- March 10-12 – No School, Schools OUT! and Camp Available
- March 5 – 31 Month of Giving; Concludes at noon on March 31
“Love changes the world, so let’s fill the world with it.” Great advice from the Kid President. Watch here for Another Pep Talk From Kid President to You. And remember, just like the Beatles serenading us, “All you need is love. All you need is love, love. Love is all you need.”
Lunar New Year – Did you know that Chinese New Year and Lunar New Year are different celebrations? The Chinese New Year is based on the Chinese Lunar Calendar and the Lunar New Year is based on complete cycles of phases of the moon. Our celebration today created by Shirley Du and Zhiyan Cao, hosted by our parent volunteers: Qi Zhao, Sandy Rossetti, Beth Chen, Cherry Yaqin, Allison Pan, Carolina Singh, Lei Chen, Juliet Chunhong Gong, Grace Song, Grace Guan, Apply Zhu, Helen Junfen Tang, Adelaide Wu, Mo Zhou, Lizhen Wang, Jacqueline Ting, Melody Sun, Eda Atay, Julie Bai, and Sandra Moore and 37 students provided an opportunity for our community to explore and learn more about the celebration. Through their creations of paper fans, zodiac bookmarks, paper puppets, fortunes, red envelopes and student presentations, we were able to connect and gain insight into this time-honored tradition. To view the video from today’s Lunar New Year Celebrations, please click here 2021 Lunar New Year Video using your Teams account.
Helping Hats – Jayesh, a 4th grader at CHA, started Helping Hats last fall. He hand-knits hats and sells them to raise money to help feed the hungry in the Pacific Northwest. All proceeds are donated to Food Lifeline. So far Jayesh has raised just over $1,100 and is almost halfway to reaching his goal of $3,000. You can visit Jayesh’s website here: https://helping-hats.com. Thank you for supporting Jayesh!
In-Person Parents Afternoon Carline – In order to keep the line moving, once your child is in the car, please buckle up and move on quickly so that we may continue to assist other students in to their cars. We also appreciate families in the pick-up car line remaining in the righthand lane as they drive around the building so that the left-hand lane is still available for families driving through to exit or park up for Friday Folder pick-up.
Key Dates 2021/22 - We have now published the Key Dates Calendar for 2021-22. You can view it on the Parent Portal here.
March Lunch Orders - The order form is open to in-person students for March here. If you are a K, 4th, or 5th Grade family planning to return to in-person on March 8th please place your order. All order forms must be submitted by 4 pm on Friday, February 26th. Lunches cost $4.50 if you place your order before the deadline above. For those parents who place their order after the deadline or send their child to school without a packed lunch, the price of the meal we provide will be $9. Milk is provided free of charge. Monthly payment will be drafted by ACH on the first of the following month. You will receive an email confirming the meals you have ordered which you can print off for your records. If you have any questions about the menu, the ordering process, or the billing, please email [email protected].
New Staff – We are delighted to welcome two new members of staff to the CHA Family this week. Angela Orlowski and Suki Villanueva will be joining our 3rd grade teaching team as instructional assistants to support them as we welcome back our in-person third graders on February 22nd.
Angelika Orlowski is from North Carolina but immediately fell in love with the state of Washington and all of it’s beauty. She has worked with kiddos of all ages and in different settings as a sitter, tutor, RBT and a nanny. This is her first year at Chestnut Hill Academy and she can’t wait to help the students learn and explore new subjects. Outside of school, she enjoys acting, writing and cooking.
Suki and her family moved from Arizona to Seattle in 2000 and have been in love with the city since. She was practicing Massage Therapy for 9yrs and now has decided to take a break and focus on working with kids . She has 19 nieces and nephews of whom she’s taken care of in the past. working with kids makes her happy, she loves their energy and believes on making a difference in their lives. Suki is very excited to be part of CHA family. In her free time she likes spending time with her family and friends, Baking, doing arts & crafts and being outdoors.
Snow Channel - We thought it might be fun to give folks the opportunity to share photos should this weekend’s big weather event show up. We have created a channel in the CHA Parents Team where you can share your ‘fun in the snow’ photos. According to the forecast, the snow should be long gone by Tuesday, but if your child is signed up for camp next week look out for an email rom Mrs. Stuart-German if the forecast changes.
March Conferences Childcare - Online Conferences will be held on Wednesday, March 10th through Friday, March 12th. There will be no school on these days, but childcare will be available for kindergarten-fifth grade from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Campers will be placed into self-contained groups of 15 with two staff members. Reservations will only be accepted for the entire three day time-period, rather than on an individual daily basis, and priority will be given to families utilizing their School’s Out benefit. If you will be using your Back-Up Care Advantage or School’s Out benefit to reserve space for your child for the three days, you will submit your reservation directly through the Back-Up Care Advantage System. If you will not be using an employer-sponsored back-up care benefit, you must sign up here. If you are a family with an annual or monthly Extended Day package, the cost of these days is covered in your Extended Day package, so you will not be charged, but you will need to sign up in advance so we can best anticipate our staffing needs. All sign-ups must be submitted by Wednesday, March 3rd, at 3:30 PM. If you have any questions, please email Kaylee Strachan at [email protected].
CHA Specialists’ Newsletter – You can view this week’s newsletter here. If you have any questions about the content, please contact your child’s teacher directly. You can find all our teachers here, and you can find information about the individual programs here.
Weekly Snack List - You can view the snacks Chef Liam will be offering to in-person students next week here at the bottom of the page. If your child is not eating the school snack, you are welcome to send a nut-free alternative to school in their backpack.
- CHAPTER - The Month of Giving is CHAPTER’s primary fundraising event of the year. Although we will not be able to celebrate in person this year, we hope that you will show your support for CHA and participate in the donation drive or the online auction, which will be showcasing the beloved classroom art projects. Look for more information in your inbox and on Teams in the coming weeks.
- Snow Days - Please take a minute to review our Emergency Closures web page to make sure you understand the plan and are set up to receive notifications.
- Yearbook Photo Submissions - Please submit the photos with a brief description here
- Previous issues of Campus Updates can be viewed here.
Holly Senaga, Head of School word