January 31, 2020
In this update:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- Reenrollment Information
- CPR Class for Parents
- Yearbook Love Notes
- Student Lighthouse
- Specialists’ Newsletter
- Weekly Snack List
Important upcoming dates:
- CHA Contracts Coming Home – Monday, February 3rd
- CHA Spelling Bee – 1:30 – 3:30, Monday, February 3rd
- Mid-Winter Break Sign-Up Closes – 3:30 pm, Tuesday, February 11th
- Friendship Week – February 10th – 14th
- Contract Deadline - 4:00 pm on Friday, February 14th
- Free Dress – February 14th
- Yearbook Survey Monkey Due – February 14th.
- President’s Day – February 17th, No school, no childcare
- Mid-Winter Intersession - February 18th - 21st. No School, Childcare Provided
- Ski Make-Up Day for 3-5 – February 12th
- Ski Make-Up Day for K –2 – February 13th
- Leadership Day – February 27th
- CHAPTER Auction Gala – February 29th
Dear CHA Community,
Our Lunar New Year celebration offered our students an opportunity to expand their cultural competence. Teaching students about world cultures helps them appreciate the differences in people and their traditions. Zhiyan Cao, Shirley Du, Maggie Yang, Shan Han, Xiaosi Li, Katisha Eng, many students, and volunteers hosted a remarkable day. An exploratorium of activities immersed our students into the Chinese culture. The assembly led by Makayla Du found students enjoying a traditional tea ceremony, dragon dance, song, poem, dance, and information presented by fellow students. To understand other’s perspectives, to broaden our own, and to fully experience and educate ourselves helps us understand one another. In a word, a heritage, a way for students to connect culturally allowing students to develop a global growth mindset.
CPR Class for Parents – CHAPTER (CHA’s PTA) has very kindly offered to sponsor a CPR class for Parents at CHA. The class will take place on Thursday, April 23rd from 6:00 – 9:00. The class is run by the same gentleman that provides our annual training, Randall Flitz, RN of I Know CPR. The course is for adults only and will cover Infant, Child, and Adult CPR, AED, and First Aid. Students will practice the required skills in small groups. Participants will be issued with a nationally recognized certificate, dependent on instructor observation of reasonable skills performance. RSVP is required because we need to know how many instructors will be required. If you are interested, please RSVP here.
AED’s - We are happy to announce that due to a generous donation from CHAPTER/a parent who wishes to remain anonymous we have received three AED devices for CHA. We will be installing one on each floor. If you want to know how to use one, please sign up for our CPR class.
Yearbook Love Notes - Every year at CHA, we offer the option to add one personalized message for each child directly into the yearbook. There is no charge for this unique service! Imagine the look on your child’s face when they finally get their yearbook, and in flipping through the pages, find that you’ve sent them a personal note, immortalized among pages of their childhood memories. Ms. Gorski has sent you an email containing a Survey Monkey link. In case you don’t get the email, here is the link. To ensure your Love Note makes it into this year’s yearbook, please submit the survey no later than Friday, February 14th. If you would like to reference examples from previous years, please check out a yearbook from the front desk.
Student Lighthouse - Next week, the Student Lighthouse leaders will be selling friendship grams before and after school on non-ski days. Friendship grams are small cards your child may purchase for $1 apiece (buy 5, get one free) with a small candy or other object attached. Students choose their cards and attachments, write their friends’ names on the cards along with their signature and a message (optional), and then the Lighthouse leaders will distribute the grams throughout Friendship Week, Feb. 10-14. Please look for Lighthouse leaders in the lobby at the following times: Monday 3:00-5:00, Tuesday 7:45-8:30, 3:00-5:00, Friday 7:45-8:30, 3:00-5:00. If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Taylor or Mrs. Setting. Thank you!
Coronavirus - At Chestnut Hill Academy, the health of the children, families, and staff in our care is paramount. As I’m sure you are aware, the outbreak of the new coronavirus is an increasing public health concern. As with any health threat, we want to make sure we are addressing concerns relating to this virus and sharing with you our measures to protect against exposure to the virus by those in our center. We ask that any family or staff members who have plans to travel to or from an area impacted by coronavirus to please inform the school leadership team as soon as possible by emailing [email protected]. We do have policies to protect against the spread of any serious disease, and we monitor and follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization and local health authorities. If you would like to learn more about coronavirus, the CDC has helpful information on their web site: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/about/index.html
Specialists’ Newsletter – Each week, we compile a newsletter outlining what your students have been doing in their specialist classes. You can view this week’s Specialists’ Newsletter here and on the home page of the website. If you have any questions about the newsletter, please email Sarah Morlidge.
Weekly Snack List - You can view the snacks Chef Jose will be offering next week here. If your child is not eating the school snack, you are welcome to send a nut-free alternative to school in their backpack.
- Reenrollment Information - The tuition agreements will be emailed via MailChimp on the afternoon of Monday, February 3rd. The deadline for signing the contract is 4:00 pm on Friday, February 14th. If you do not receive an email by Tuesday, February 4th, please contact Jaynie Woodard at [email protected].
- CHAPTER Auction Update – Thank you to all who have donated and/or registered so far! For more information about the auction or for the registration link, please go to https://www.chestnuthillacademy.com/Auction.
- Mid-Winter Break Sign Up - There will be no school the week of February 17th for Mid-Winter Break. CHA will be completely closed on Monday, February 17th (President’s Day), but there will be camp available on Tuesday - Friday. Please visit the CHA Sign Ups page to register your child for camp.
- We Need Your Cleats! - ‘Kleats for Kids’ is a club at Bellevue High School that collects used cleats and donates them to children in Peru. There will be a box at the CHA front desk from January 13th to February 14th.
I wish you an enjoyable weekend,
Holly Senaga, Head of School
Promote to Parents page (My CHA):
Promote to My CHA