In This Update:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- Family Bingo Boards
- CHA Family Map
- Oodles of Noodles
- Festival of Peace and Light
- Last call to avoid the ski bus fee
- CHAPTER Auction Update
- Specialists’ Newsletter
- Weekly Snack List
Important upcoming dates:
- Oodles of Noodles Drive – December 9th-18th
- Snowcoming Week – December 16th-20th
- Multicultural Fair – December 19th, 2:30-3:30 pm
- Festival of Peace and Light – December 20th, 10:00-11:00 am
- January Lunch Orders Due – Friday, December 27th, 4:00 pm
- Winter Intersession (school closed, childcare provided) - December 23rd, 26th – 31st, Jan 2nd– 3rd.
- Winter Break (school closed, no childcare) – December 24th, 25th, and January 1st
- School Resumes - January 6th
- Classroom Spelling Bees - January 13th-17th.
Dear CHA Community,
It takes one person to make a difference. From Mrs. Palladino’s Kindergarten class singing a “Thank you” song to each staff member, to Mrs. Springer’s students who are learning about compassion in their Second Step curriculum (and took the lesson further by looking for ways to act on compassion instead of just seeing it), students at CHA are making a difference. This week, fourth graders made birthday cards for WWII vets, and next week they will be making holiday cards for a Wisconsin man, Gene Weittenhiller, a cancer patient whose dying wish is to receive holiday cards. These are just two examples of the ways our teachers connect the curriculum and life skills while developing character. Compassion enables you to understand yourself and others more; compassion is contagious and spreads outwards. Inspiring further acts of compassion and kindness when witnessed and experienced is our hope for instilling a lifelong commitment towards making a difference as compassionate leaders.
Family Bingo Boards - Each child received a Family Bingo Board in their Friday Folders. As a family, please complete as many of the Leader in Me activities together. These activities provide an opportunity for you as a family to hit the “pause” button and truly enjoy each other’s company. The Family Bingo Boards will be due on Friday, January 10th. All families that return the board with five in a row and families that return the board that is fully completed will be entered into a drawing for a special prize.
Heat Map - If you are in town over the break and looking for some playdates, don’t forget that you can find out who lives near you by visiting the CHA Family Map. You will need to log in to the website for these links to work. You will find the map here. Zoom in to your location and you will see pins labeled by grade and student first name. You can then look that student up on the student directory here. The map will also be useful if we get snow. Hopefully, everyone signed up for Jupiter emergency alerts. If not, you can find out how to here.
Snowcoming - During Snowcoming next week, the Student Lighthouse leaders invite everyone to dress up for our themed days listed below.
- Monday – Jingle Jammies Monday: wear pajamas and bring a small stuffed friend to school
- Tuesday – Snowflake Tuesday: wear blue and white for snow colors
- Wednesday – Wacky, Tacky Sweater and Hat Day: wear brightly colored hats and sweaters with or without a holiday design
- Thursday – Multicultural Day: wear clothing that represents your family’s culture (clothing may come from another country, the colors of the country’s flag, t-shirts or sports team jerseys, etc.)
- Friday – Festival of Peace and Light: all students should be in Dress Uniform
Ooodles of Noodles Drive – Samaira has been collecting Cup Noodles for the Tukwila Snackpack since last Monday. So far she has collected 133. Cup Noodle Donations can be dropped off at the front desk until close of business next Wednesday. Thank you for supporting Samaira and the SnackPack program.
Festival of Peace and Light - Next Friday, Mr. Rees, teachers and students look forward to performing for you at the Festival of Peace and Light. We look forward to celebrating with you. The busses will be leaving school at 9:00 sharp, and there will be no transportation back to CHA, which will be closed. Doors open to parents at 9:45. Timing and location can be found here. Please let your child’s homeroom teacher know whether they will need to ride the bus. Please remember that all students are required to be in Dress Uniform for the performance. Dress Uniform comprises a white polo or peter pan collar shirt, a green cardigan, sweater vest or sweater, khaki shorts or pants for boys, black watch jumper, skirt or skort for girls, white/navy/forest green socks or tights for girls, brown/black socks for boys, black, brown or navy shoes. Please, no sneakers.
Last Call to Avoid the Ski Bus Fee! – In addition to social events, yearbooks, parenting classes, enrichment programs, professional development, summer math books, teacher appreciation… you get the idea, your membership in CHAPTER helps us to pay for the ski buses. Your $80 family membership also waives the mandatory $160 ski bus fee, so this is a great deal. The link for registration can be found at https://cha-chapter.org/. The deadline is 12/20/2019.
CHAPTER Auction Update - Thank you to all who have donated and/or registered so far. For more information or for the registration link, please go to https://www.chestnuthillacademy.com/Auction.
- Early Bird Registration Competition: Second and Fourth grades are tied for first place!
- Donation Competition: Ms. Warenkiewicz’s class is taking the lead this week with Mrs. Duffina’s class coming in at second place!
Specialists’ Newsletter – Each week, we compile a newsletter outlining what your students have been doing in their specialist classes. You can view this week’s Specialists’ Newsletter here and on the home page of the website. If you have any questions about the newsletter, please email Sarah Morlidge.
Weekly Snack List - You can view the snacks Chef Jose will be offering next week here. If your child is not eating the school snack, you are welcome to send a nut-free alternative to school in their backpack.
- Spelling Bee - The sixth annual CHA school spelling bee is coming! The word lists for the classroom bees can be found here - along with the Rules for the Spelling Bee.
- Extracurricular Registration – Registration for the next trimester of extracurriculars is open. You will find information about classes, teachers, and registration here.
- Key Dates Calendar – The Key Dates Calendar for the next school year (2020 – 21) can be viewed on the website Parent Portal here.
- Winter Intersession Childcare Sign-Up - You can sign up here. This sign-up site closes Monday, December 16th, at 4:00 pm. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email [email protected].
- Ski Season 2020 – You can view all important ski information here.
- January Lunch Orders – The order form for January lunches is open here. If you have any questions, please email here Chef.
Wishing you a happy and restful weekend. Holly Senaga, Head of School