In This Update:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- Report Cards
- Extracurricular Registration
- Diwali Photos
- Fall Food Drive
- Specialists’ Newsletter
- Weekly Snack List
- Winter Intersession Childcare Sign-Up
Important upcoming dates:
- Fall Food Drive - November 11th-22nd
- Screenagers - November 19th, 7:00 - 9:00 pm
- Parent Teacher Conferences – November 20th, 21st & 22nd
- Thanksgiving Break – November 25th, 26th and 27th: No school, childcare provided
- Thanksgiving – November 28th and 29th: No school, no childcare
- Last Week of Fall Extracurriculars – December 9th-13th
- Snowcoming Week – December 16th-20th
- Multicultural Fair – December 19th, 2:30-3:30 pm
- Festival of Peace and Light – December 20th, 10:00-11:00 am
Dear CHA Community,
This week, we shared via our Twitter feed an article that appeared in the December issue of The Atlantic, “Stop Trying to Raise Successful Kids, and start raising kind ones.” It suggests that a substantial majority of parents say that they wish their children to be kind and caring. However, the message increasingly received by children, who learn as much about parental values through what they see versus what they are told, is that achievement and happiness are most important and worth pursuing even when caring and compassion must take a backseat. Surely that is not the intention of most parents, so we felt it would be beneficial for us all to be aware of this concerning trend. If you’d like to read for yourself, here is the short version: “Stop Trying to Raise Successful Kids…”
School Assembly - Thank you to the second and fifth grade students who led our first all school assembly this morning. The assembly included a fifth-grade performance of Click Sticks by Jon Madin that they arranged themselves, skits about three of the habits and the Student Leadership presentations. Congratulations to this month’s student leaders, Camilla (K), Jazmine (1st), Owen F. (2nd), Vivian (3rd), Arjun K. (4th) and Koah (5th). There is a video of the assembly available here.
Report Cards – First-trimester report cards will be made available via Jupiter on Monday afternoon. You will want to check that you have the correct email address set up in Jupiter, and have added [email protected] and [email protected] to your contacts if you wish to receive notification of their release. You can find more information about setting up your Jupiter account on the website here, and in the Parent Handbook.
Extracurricular Registration – Registration for the next trimester of extracurriculars will open next Friday. We will post the information on the website and in Campus Updates.
Diwali Photos – A BIG Thank you to all the amazing photographers who helped capture the beautiful Diwali moments- Hemangi P. (Esha in 1st Grade), Sugandha K. (Nikhil in K and Arjun in Grade 2) and Prateek J. (Sanaa in K and Jiya in Grade 4), and Taran A. (Raunaq in 1st Grade). You can view the photos on our CHA Flick Album here. Please email [email protected] if you have a Flickr account you would like to use to view them.
Fall Food Drive - Student Lighthouse is hosting its annual Fall Food Drive at CHA. The food we collect goes to the Renewal Food Bank in Bellevue, and we appreciate the opportunity to help others in our local community. This will be our 18th year supporting the Renewal Food Bank, and we are excited to continue our partnership. The people at Renewal much appreciate everything we donate, but some items are in high demand, including canned tuna, soup, canned fruits and vegetables, boxed pasta meals, Top Ramen noodles, toiletry items, and tomato sauce. Donations may be dropped off at the tables located just beyond the front desk from November 11th-22nd. Thank you for donating and helping us continue our tradition of generosity in supporting our community.
Specialists’ Newsletter – Each week, we compile a newsletter outlining what your students have been doing in their specialist classes. You can view this week’s Specialists’ Newsletter here and on the home page of the website. If you have any questions about the newsletter, please email Sarah Morlidge.
Weekly Snack List - You can view the snacks Chef Jose will be offering next week here. If your child is not eating the school snack, you are welcome to send a nut-free alternative to school in their backpack.
Winter Intersession Childcare Sign-Up - During December we have winter intersession, and there will be no school on December 23rd-27th, 30th-January 3rd. On these days, we do have childcare available. You can sign up here. This year’s camp theme is Over and Under, Space and Sea. The camp is open from 7:00 am-6:00 pm, with snacks and activities beginning at 9:00 am. Extended day packages (monthly and annual) do not include camp dates. A full day at camp (over 5 hours) will be charged to your account at the rate of $85/day. Half-days (under 5 hours) are also an option, for $45/day. If your employer has the back-up care benefit, we do accept BUCA and Microsoft SchoolsOut reservations. If you utilize either of these back-up care options, you do not need to sign-up here (only through the back-up care portal, which you will receive an email confirmation for). Lunch is available for purchase like a normal school day on the December lunch order form. Please note CHA is closed on December 24-25th and January 1st. There is no school or childcare on these dates. This sign-up site closes Monday, December 16th at 4:00 pm. Any sign-ups after this time will be considered late, and a $50 late fee charged to your account. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email [email protected].
- Ski Season 2020 – You can view the presentation and all other important ski information here.
- Art Project Volunteers - If you email Mrs. Choi by Friday, November 15th, she will send you detailed information about your grade’s art project. Thank you for your consideration and for helping us with the auction projects. Mrs. Choi greatly appreciates it!
- Admissions Referral Program - Parents who made family referrals whose children are accepted will receive a Referral Bonus of $250 per family. Please direct them to www.chestnuthillacademy.com/admissions.
- Sibling Applications - Our application deadline this year is January 24th, 2019, and you can begin your application process here.
- Screenagers Tickets Available – Tickets to the showing of “Screenagers: The Next Chapter” can be secured here for CHA families.
- Thanksgiving Break Childcare Sign Up - This sign-up site closes Monday, November 18th at 4:00 pm. Any sign-ups after this time will be considered late and a $50 late fee will be charged to your account.
- Lunch Order Form – The December lunch order form is open here and will remain open throughout December. Lunches will cost $4.50 if you place your order before the deadline of Friday, November 29th, and $9 for those parents who place their order after the deadline. If you have any questions about the menu, the ordering process, or the billing, please email [email protected].
- New CHA Apparel – New sweatshirts and baseball hats are available for purchase here. Sizes for both children and adults available.