In This Update:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- Extended Day Morning Grace Period
- Fall Festival
- Guest Musician Songwriters
- Open House and Tuition Referral Discount
- Specialists Newsletter
- Weekly Snack List
Important upcoming dates:
- Seahawks Blue Thursday – October 3rd
- Dad’s Night Out – October 9th, 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm
- Book Fair - October 14 – 17th, 3:00pm - 5:30 pm, 15th - 17th 7:45 am - 9:00 am, and 18th 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Seahawks Blue/Free Dress Friday – October 18th
- Fall Festival – October 18th, 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- 4th and 5th Grade Social – October 20th, 11:00 – 1:00 pm
- Middle School Presentation - October 23, 2019 - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Halloween Parade – October 31st, 2:40 – 3:00 pm
Dear CHA Community,
Holly is having a well-earned day off today, so I have the pleasure of sending your Friday missive. Philanthropy is key to our mission at CHA. I would like to share with you that this year we will be partnering with the Tukwila SnackPack Program. It’s a cause close to Mrs. Senaga’s heart as she taught for many years in Tukwila before joining CHA. When she left 13 years ago, they were serving students who spoke 68 different languages. Now they serve 80 languages and 98% of their 3,051 students within their 5 schools are on free and reduced breakfast and lunch. Mrs. Senaga has stayed in touch with many of her colleagues and has been talking to them about a program that they began two years ago and continue to sponsor, The Tukwila SnackPack Program It is Mrs. Senaga’s belief that this will be a great way for our students to connect and see the direct impact that their efforts have with kids their own age while understanding the impact nutrition plays in education. You will see below that proceeds from our Fall Festival Spaghetti Feed will go to this worthy cause as well as the November food drive, more details of that next month.
Extended Day Morning Grace Period – As you hopefully know, or are going to find out, we constantly look at how we do things and what changes are within our control to make your experience a better one here at CHA. We have decided to extend the grace period for morning Extended Day from 8:15 - 8:25 to 8:00 – 8:25 to see if that make for a more conducive atmosphere in the car park at drop off time. This change will take effect from Monday, October 30th. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Fall Festival - Friday, October 18th - This is an all-school extravaganza, where children and parents can enjoy a wide variety of activities, including the famous Haunted House (hosted by Mr. Rees), carnival games in the gym, face painting, a cupcake walk, Mad Science Lab, oversized games in the gym, and much more! The evening will start with a Spaghetti Feed which will take place from 5:30-6:30 pm in the Café. Gluten-free noodles are available, and butter and parmesan will be available for those that don’t prefer sauce. All proceeds will benefit the Tukwila SnackPack program. The dinner will cost $5.00 per person (cash or check) and will include spaghetti, salad, a roll, and a beverage. Please RSVP here so that we will have an accurate count for ordering.
The Fall Festival itself will begin at 6:00 p.m. and run until 7:50 p.m. Before children begin the event, please pick up a passport from the front desk. Students will earn a stamp on their passport for each activity, and at the end of the Fall Festival, students can turn in their passport at the front desk for an opportunity to win a gift card! At all time, students MUST be accompanied by their parents. In addition, students should bring their own bag for prizes. Attire for the Fall Festival is a free dress day, but excludes costumes. However, costumes may be worn to school on Halloween, Wednesday, October 31st. We look forward to seeing you and your family at the Fall Festival!
Schedule of Events:
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. Spaghetti Feed at the Café - $5/per person – cash or check
- 6:00-7:30 p.m. Fall Festival – All floors – Please pick up a passport at the front desk and refer to it for activity locations
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. 5th grade cake bidding – Lobby – Winners will be announced at 7:00 p.m.
- 7:30-7:45 p.m. Passports turned in to the front desk and gift card drawing
- 7:45 p.m. Fall Festival ends
Guest Musician Songwriters – Your CHA student is in for a rare treat next week! Music maestro, Bob Rees, has organized a weeklong residency of Style Songwriting Through Youth Literature Education (STYLE). They’ll be spending time with every class to read a book and to write/record an original song that the class composes. We can’t wait to share the music they write with you. You can find out more about STYLE here. If you didn’t join CHAPTER yet, it’s not too late! You can do that here. Your continued support allows us to provide more opportunities like this for our students, so thank you!
Open House and Tuition Referral Discount – On Saturday, November 2nd, we will be hosting our first Open House of the admissions season. The event will be held from 9 AM to 11 AM, with an opportunity for guests to tour with faculty, and hear from the administration, teachers, parents, and student representatives. We would love it if you would put in a good word to any families you might know who are looking for a private school for their child. We offer a tuition referral discount of $250 to families whose friends subsequently enroll their student at CHA, so make sure they let us know who sent them!
Specialists Newsletter – Each week we compile a newsletter outlining what your students have been doing in their specialist classes. You can view this week’s Specialist Newsletter here and on the home page of the website. If you have any questions about the newsletter, please email Sarah Morlidge.
Weekly Snack List - You can view the snacks Chef Jose will be offering next week here. If your child will not be eating the school snack, you are welcome to send a nut-free alternative to school in their backpack.
- Vakker Photo Ordering & Retakes - Photo proofs, including retakes, are available online for viewing and ordering now. ou can find out everything you need to know about how to order photos on the Vakker flyer, which is available on the website Parent Portal, and hyperlinked here. You can find out everything you need to know about how to order photos on the Vakker flyer, which is available on the website Parent Portal, and hyperlinked here.
- October Lunch Orders – The order form for ordering form closes at 4 pm today. You can find the menu and the order form here.
- Admissions and Parent Referral Program - Parents who made family referrals whose children are accepted will receive a Referral Bonus of $250 per family. If you would like to refer a family to CHA, please direct them to www.chestnuthillacademy.com/admissions. Thank you for your recommendations.
- Middle School Presentation - We are looking forward to welcoming Third through Fifth grade families to the Middle School Presentation on October 23rd, which will include a Parent Panel. The event will be from 6:00-8:00 pm in the Chestnut Hill Academy Gym. Dinner will be catered, and childcare is provided for CHA students where pizza, fruit, and milk will be served. Please RSVP on our Sign-Up page. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email Kaylee Strachan.
All the best,