In This Update:
- Important Upcoming Dates
- Soliana’s Philanthropy
- CHA Parent Handbook
- Leader in Me Parent Class Recap
- Professional Development
- First Day of School
- September Payment Draft
- The Computer Lab Website
Important upcoming dates:
- Ice Cream Social – September 3rd 2 pm
- Vendor Fair – September 3rd 3 pm
- First Day of School – September 4th
- Picture Day – September 9th 8am-2pm
- First Week of Fall Extracurriculars – September 9th
- September Goal-Setting Childcare Sign-Up Closes – September 17th 4 pm
- Curriculum Night – September 19th 6-8pm
- Walk-a-thon – September 20th 1-3pm
- Sibling Pictures Available – September 23rd 8-8: 30 am
- Picture Day Retakes – September 23rd 8:30am-12pm
- No Fall Extracurriculars – September 23rd-27th
- All-School Flying Circus Social – September 24th 6-8pm
- Goal-Setting Conferences – September 25th-27th 7am-6pm
Dear CHA Community,
Did you know that we post our Campus Updates to the front page of the website? That way, you can easily revisit. We don’t want to keep repeating information, so you will notice that the second week we feature an item, the content is summarized, and it appears in the Reminders section at the bottom. You can view previous issues here.
As a school of leaders, I’m impressed when students approach me to share their passion regarding a program they’re participating in or raising money for. Philanthropic work throughout the year would be an independent goal we’d hope all students would strive towards. Third-grader, Solaina did just that. She scheduled an appointment to meet with me, came in during the summer to pitch her campaign and asked about logistics, put the criteria into production and arrived yesterday to share and promote her plan. Solaina is asking for help in the fight against cancer. On September 29th, she’ll participate in the Base 2 Space stair climb. For those of you who aren’t familiar with this race, she’ll climb 832 steps to get to the top of the Space Needle! This cause is important to Solaina because both of her grandfathers had cancer and she misses them.
Solaina has already put a lot of time and effort into her cause. She asked her friends and family for donations. She donated her birthday money from her grandma. She found loose change around the house and you’ll see her posters with hand-drawn pictures around the school. Now what can you do? Synergize with Solaina in her effort to achieve her goal of raising $500. Parents can donate at https://runsignup.com/climbwithS or students can drop off change at the front desk into the jar she’s provided. Thank you for supporting Soliana’s fight to find a cure for cancer and supporting her efforts in leadership.
CHA Parent Handbook – The updated version of our Parent Handbook, which is required reading, has been uploaded to the Parent Portal. You will find a link on the left sidebar, and I have included the link here for your convenience. You will also receive a paper slip in your child’s Friday Folder that you should sign and return once you have reviewed the handbook. If we make subsequent changes to the Handbook, we will notify you via Campus Updates.
The Leader in Me Parent Class Recap – If you had to share the ‘why’ behind having your child attend a Leader in Me School, a school for leaders, what would you say? Why is it important to you? What can you do at home to empower your child to lead themselves first so that they may lead others in the future? Powerful questions and activities like these were posed by John Flokstra, CHA’s Leader in Me coach. Parents who attended spent time delving into these questions, discussing what their responsibility is in the process, what the teacher’s role in the process is and the positive impact it has on children. We’ll look forward to welcoming John back to CHA on November 1st.
Professional Development – In preparation for the new school year, our teaching staff just completed an amazing week of Professional Development, which included time with our Leader In Me Coach, John Flokstra, to discuss empowering instruction and to strategize around our school-wide goal and our school action teams. Our staff also engaged in a day of training with Ilsa Govan of Cultures Connecting to examine a framework of cultural competence, identify norms for courageous conversations and tools for better engaging students, families, and others when talking about race, and to closely examine implicit bias and stereotype threat in order to strategize how to counter bias. The week was made complete with some hands-on simple powered machines and WeDo 2.0 training in our new Lego Lab. We’re excited to share our knowledge and put new skills to work during the upcoming school year!
First Day of School - Students don’t have to be in Dress Uniform because it’s a Wednesday, but lots of children will be so they look their best for first day of school photos. Here is the PE Schedule so that you can decide if your child needs to be in PE Clothes on Wednesday:
- Kindergarten - Monday & Friday
- 1st Grade -Tuesday & Thursday
- 2nd Grade -Wednesday & Friday
- 3rd Grade - Monday & Wednesday
- 4th Grade -Tuesday & Thursday
- 5th Grade - Monday & Friday
The Computer Lab Website - This is the site that we use to curate sites that will be used by staff and students, both in school and for homework. You can find it here. You don’t need credentials for the site itself, just for some of the sites within. For example, IXL Math and Accelerated Reader. Typically, the student’s username will be the first initial of their first name, plus the first 4 letters of their last name and their password will be their first name, all lowercase. e.g. smorl / sarah. There are occasional exceptions to this format. If your student does not know their credentials, please email [email protected]. You will also see links to Brain Pop, Brain Pop Jr. Encyclopedia Britannica and ABCYa! on the Computer Lab website which we have accounts for. Your CHA your student is welcome to use these resources at home. The username is chatechlab and the password is chestnut.
- September Goal Setting Conference Childcare - This sign-up site closes Tuesday, September 17th at 4:00 pm. Any sign-ups after this time will be considered late and a $50 late fee will be charged to your account. If you have any questions, please email Kaylee Strachan.
- Family Style Dining – Applications for leadership positions in the café are open until Tuesday evening. You and Me Cleaning Crew Application – Students in grades 1 through 5. You will find the form here. Table Captain Application – Students in grades 2 through 5. You will find the form here.
- Ice Cream Social – Doors open at 2 pm on September 3rd, and we recommend planning some extra time for parking. There is no need to wear a school uniform to this event, and ice cream will be provided by our PTA, CHAPTER. The Vendor Fair will start at 3 pm. The extracurricular schedule can be viewed here.
Have a lovely Labor Day weekend. I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday afternoon at the Ice Cream Social.
Holly Senaga, Head of School