In this update:
- Important upcoming dates
- Awards of Excellence
- Wall of Fame
- Field Day
- Math Is Cool
- Dennis Uniform Sale
- Friendship Week and Spirit Week
- Registration Information
- June Lunch Order Form
- Kids and Parenting Class
- CHAPTER Updates
Important upcoming dates:
- Professional Development Day - School Closed, Childcare Available – May 24th
- Memorial Day (School Closed) - May 27th
- Parenting Class – May 29th 6-8:00 pm “Changing the Narrative” by Kids and Race
- CHA Art Show - May 28th – 31st
- CHAPTER End of Year Picnic at Vasa Park, June 2nd from 2:30 - 6:30
- Spirit & Friendship Week – June 3rd - 7th Please check the calendar for the daily themes
- Leadership Day – June 11th
- Student Led Conferences – June 11th
- Field Day – June 13th
- Moving Up Ceremony – Friday June 14th 9:30 – 11:00
Dear CHA Community,
The relationship between a parent and a child is often considered the most enduring and significant relationship in one’s life. As one of the earliest connections a child has, the parental relationship sets the bar for everyone thereafter, especially educators. Positive parent and child bonds foster autonomy, curiosity, self-esteem and better decision-making skills setting them up to be successful people first and students second. Your involvement in their lives in and out of school builds stronger communication between yourself, your child and their teachers. Every day, the faculty and I observe the strong bonds you share with your child. It is a wonder to hear the joy between you at drop off and pick up as you walk in and through our halls. The routine and exchanges special to your family shared between the two of you is a site to behold and is creating lasting memories long after your child has taken their last steps as a student at CHA. Enjoy the moments that you have together and thank you for sharing these moments with us.
While it’s difficult to see people moving on who have contributed to our educational experiences during our time at school, it is a part of life that occurs wherever you may be. We’re excited to support the following faculty who are exploring future opportunities elsewhere. We will miss them dearly.
- Maddie Snyder, Admin Assistant will be leaving in October to welcome a little one.
- Raven Wilcox, First grade teacher will be graduating with her MA in Social Justice and will be teaching first grade at Orca Elementary.
- Tiffany Watkins, Third grade teacher will be moving to Eastern Washington.
- Katie Norkus, Fifth grade teacher will be moving back to California to teach 5th grade Humanities.
- Ruth Villasenor, Spanish teacher will be staying home to welcome a little one in September.
- Derek Heinz, PE teacher/Assistant Head of School will be moving to full time Assistant Head of School.
- Jordan Krause, Instructional Assistant will begin his student teaching in the Fall.
- Melissa Chapman, Chef will be pursuing work in the vicinity.
As we say good-bye to some, we say hello to others. Please join me in welcoming the following faculty to our CHA family:
- Kaylee Strachan, Admin Assistant
- Jack Sturgess, PE teacher
- Carmela Laya, 1st Grade Teacher
- Maddie Jones, 4th Grade Teacher
- Stacy Cooke, 4th Grade Teacher
- Suzanne Corner, Academic Specialist
Awards of Excellence Winners - We are delighted to recognize this year’s award winners. Thank you to all the parents and staff who voted for our winners. Drum roll please for the following:
- Charis Whalen, Instructional Assistant – Heart Award
- Jordan Krause, Instructional Assistant - Excellence in Care and Education Award
- Maddie Snyder, Admin Assistant – Bright Way to Work Award
- Jaynie Woodard, Business Manager- Above and Beyond Award
- Sam Palladino, Kindergarten Teacher – Weaving the Tapestry Award
- Christina Chow, First Grade Teacher – Rising Star Award
- Jessica Springer, Fourth Grade Teacher – Janice Hill Award
Wall of Fame - Resident artist and teacher Mrs. Choi has done it again! Inspired by the 2nd Graders reading of How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers, Mrs. Choi designed a beautiful new installation for our first-floor hallway which is intended to encourage our students to dream big. Thank you to the parents who donated to this endeavor at the CHA Gala Auction, we hope there will be an opportunity to add more stars next year! To see the installation in person, please join us for our annual Art Show which runs from May 28th to June 7th.
Field Day - In case you haven’t already noticed by the weather, it’s that time of year again in which the focus really begins to shift towards summer. Finalizing those vacation plans and registering for those summer camps is now a must-do! At CHA, our must-do list includes a highly-anticipated event that precedes the official beginning of summer: Field Day! Please join our students and staff for a day filled with fun, exciting games and activities, memories, and, hopefully, beautiful summer-like weather. The event will be held Thursday, June 13th, at Newcastle Beach Park. All parents are invited to attend. Parent volunteers are very much appreciated and play an integral role in the success of Field Day. They assist by joining in the preparations prior to and during the event and by helping to oversee the various games and activities. For now, please mark the date on your calendar. If you are interested in getting involved as a volunteer, there is a Sign-Up link here where you can pick a game or activity to help with. Permission slips for Field Day will be sent home in next week’s Friday folders. Thanks so much, and we hope to see you there!
Math is Cool - Our Math is Cool Team had a terrific experience in Moses Lake competing in the Masters. In their division competing with 32 other schools, Chestnut Hill Academy was placed in top 5 by taking the 4th position. In the Top 10 Individual performances in their division, Arjun was placed 8th and Oscar was placed 3rd. Natalia, Ishwin, Arjun and Oscar led by Mrs. Latuskiewicz and Mrs. Baweja worked hard all year to get to this place of accomplishment. Weekly practices with monthly tests and success at the Regional competition led them to the Masters. It is heartwarming to see their success. Please join me in congratulating these mathletes!
Dennis Uniform Sale - One of our suppliers, Dennis Uniform, is having a sale this weekend. From Friday, May 24th – Monday, May 27th, 2019 they are offering 15% on online orders and free shipping on orders over $25. You can find all uniform related information on our website here, including the link to the CHA Dennis Uniform page which is here. If the Dennis site asks you for a school code, it is XBWCHA and their National Customer Service phone number is 800.854.6951. If you have any questions about uniforms, please email [email protected].
Friendship Week and Spirit Week – Our Student Lighthouse Leaders have combined these two as our original Friendship Week had to be postponed due to snow days. Here are details of the events they have planned:
Friendship Grams (cards with bracelets, pencils, keychains, etc. attached)
- Will be sold in the lobby May 29-31 before and after school for $1 apiece
- Will be delivered during Friendship/Spirit Week June 3-7
Spirit Week Themes (Anyone who does not want to dress in the day’s theme may have Free Dress)
- Monday, June 3 – Blue Monday (dress in blue and “drink your blues away” at lunch with lemonade or chocolate milk)
- Tuesday, June 4 – Twin Tuesday
- Wednesday, June 5 – Wacky Wednesday (mismatched clothing and crazy hair)
- Thursday, June 6 – Throwback Thursday (wear any fashions from the past)
- Friday, June 7 – Future Friday (wear fashions you think people in the future will wear)
Spring Food Drive June 3-7
Registration Information – Thank you to everyone who has already completed their TADS reenrollment registration information. If you didn’t receive the TADS email, please email [email protected]. The deadline for completing registration paperwork is July 1st.
Kids and Race Parenting Class - Please RSVP here by the end of today
CHAPTER Board Meeting Minutes – You can view the minutes of our most recent board meeting, as well as those of previous meetings, on our CHAPTER web page here.
CHAPTER Picnic at Vasa Park, June 2nd from 2:30 - 6:30. Please consider being a co-chair for this event or lending a hand. Your help is needed to make it a success! There are several opportunities to help out including handing out treats, setting up, assisting with the magic show and more. You can sign up here, or contact Beth Danielson at [email protected] or Steve Daly at [email protected] to assist at the event.
End of Year Party & School’s Out Celebration - Please join Jerry and Brandi Huang at their residence on Saturday June 15th for an End-of-Year Celebration. Jerry and Brandi are graciously and bravely hosting CHA students and their families for this early summer event. They are asking that you RSVP no later than June 1st. You can find the evite at https://www.evite.com/event/003BJ4HMTMYQGACZWEPJJM3I7GHVR4/rsvp?
Head of School