In this update:
- Important upcoming dates
- Parent Survey
- School Website
- Spring Music Recital
- Renaissance Place Home Connect
- Summer Camp Registration
- CHAPTER Updates
Important upcoming dates:
- Parent Survey Open – Extended till Monday!
- STEM Night – Tonight
- 5th Grade in Washington DC - April 29th - May 3rd
- 4th Grade at IslandWood – May 6th - 9th
- 3rd Grade Mother’s Day Brunch – May 10th
- Faculty Appreciation Week – May 13th - 20th
- CHA Parent Night Out - May 15th, 6 – 9:30 pm
- Summer Camp Early Bird Deadline – May 17th
- Spring Music Recital – May 22nd, 6 – 8:00 pm
- Professional Development Day (School Closed, Childcare Available – May 24th
- Memorial Day (School Closed) - May 27th
- Parenting Class – May 29th 6-8:00 pm “Changing the Narrative” by Kids and Race
Dear CHA Community,
I’ve always shared that our number one priority is keeping the students safe. If we can keep them safe, learning occurs as it should because they’re not concerned or worried about what may happen. This priority extends to our families as they enter and exit our building and our parking lot. Recently, I’ve witnessed an increase in aggressive driving and parking, coupled with demonstrations of impatience that don’t put our students and our community at the forefront. The traffic plan is in place to ensure yours and your child’s safety as well as others. A few simple reminders:
- Follow the arrows even when it’s not busy or you think no one’s watching. Your child is looking to you as a role model and will follow your practices.
- The lower parking lot is a one way. Turning in from the street is not an option at any time. Taking a left or right out of the lower parking lot is allowed.
- Exiting out of the main parking lot, you must always take a right-hand turn.
- The upper parking lot allows for a left- or right-hand turn.
- Monitor your speed in the parking lot.
- Be patient while waiting for someone to back into, park or leave a parking space.
- Park between the lines. If your car doesn’t fit, don’t park there.
I understand parking can be challenging as we have limited spaces and are unable to change their size due to occupancy regulations. I appreciate you caring for one another as much as the faculty and I care for our family.
Spring Music Recital – Look out for a flyer in your students Friday Folder with more information for all CHA musicians. If you have taken private music lessons this year, we hope you can join us for a recital on Wednesday, May 22nd, at 6:00pm. The recital will be held at Newport Presbyterian Church. (4010 120th Avenue Southeast Bellevue, WA 98006 425-746-6111). THE RECITAL PIECE NEEDS TO UNDER 3 MINUTES. If you’re a student of Mr. Rees or Mr. Adams, you will work on your piece during your lessons. If you take private lessons elsewhere and would like to have it heard beforehand, please contact Mr. Rees - [email protected] . Please also consider signing up for refreshments at https://www.chestnuthillacademy.com/Sign-Ups
Renaissance Place Home Connect - Our site upgraded over Spring Break, and parents have asked several questions about the new Home Connect portal. I have included the responses below. Parents can also access the Renaissance Home Connect Help menu to search for more information.
- Email Notification: The new site only allows one parent to receive email notifications. It won’t allow multiple emails for notifications. I have submitted a suggestion to expand the ability to enter more than one email address for Home Connect email notifications.
- Total AR Points: At CHA, grades K-2 will see the Primary interface for their student experience, while grades 3 and up will see the independent reader interface.
- Average % vs Goal: Where can I find the average % against Goal? For example: They have a target of 80% against Goal. There used to be a metric showing how they score against the 80%. For the answer to this, see ‘My Goals’ section: Renaissance Home Connect and Accelerated Reader . Percent Correct goals are based on the average percent correct for quizzes.
- Reading Level: Where can I find the reading level my child is reading at? The old tool used to provide this metric. In the ‘My Goals’ section, the student will see information about his or her reading, including the number of words read, the percent of reading that has been fiction or nonfiction, the number of activities completed, the number passed, and the student’s Zone of Proximal Development.
- Completed Work / Reading: There used to be a detail report that shows all the books my child has read and how they did against Goal. It shows actual AR points, total AR points they can get if score 100%, etc. With the new tool, you have to click on each book icon to view “% of Correct” and “Points” scored. The ‘My Completed Work’ tab is a showcase of all the quizzes that the student has taken in the past several years. The quizzes are organized by month, with the most recent quizzes listed first; the score earned for each is shown.
Summer Camp Registration - CHA families will receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on enrollment (not including the registration fee or Extended Day) for Camp Explorations registration forms submitted by May 17th, 2019. Early Bird Discount does not apply to the School’sOUT! and Back Up Care Systems. You can find all the information you need at www.chestnuthillacademy.com/campus-life/camps.
Kids and Race Parenting Class - CHAPTER invites you to join us for a parenting class provided by Kids and Race. The class is titled “Changing the Narrative” and covers narrative/counter-narrative, race in media, racial identity development, colorblindness and racial identity education and action steps. Dinner and childcare will be provided for children over the age of 5. If you have any questions, please email Holly Senaga or Maddie Snyder. Please RSVP here by Thursday, May 23rd.
Mom’s Night Out at Jimmy Choo – Thank you to those who came out to support Chapter at Jimmy Choo last week. Thanks to you we raised $900!
CHAPTER Board Positions – Last Chance! We are in need of amazing parents to contribute their talents. Please consider joining the leadership of the CHAPTER board. The deadline to express interest for all positions is Friday, May 3rd. Elected positions will be determined through voting Monday, May 6th through Monday, May 13th. The appointed positions (minus the homeroom parent) will be decided by end of May. Job descriptions can be found here and the statement of interest form can be found here. If you have problems with the links, you can download the forms from the CHAPTER site here and here. Please contact [email protected] if you’d be interested in participating in CHAPTER Leadership or Representative roles for the 2019 – 2020 school year.
Parent Event at K-1 Speed – Don’t forget to register! - After a successful Dad’s Night event last fall, we were overwhelmingly petitioned to host a follow-on event open to all CHA parents. Please join us on May 15th, between 6:00 pm and 9:30 pm for an exciting evening of food and racing at K-1 Speed in Redmond. This is an adult only event which will be partially sponsored by CHAPTER as a fun community building opportunity. $50 per individual. REGISTRATION IS LIVE NOW at https://cha-chapter.org/.
Faculty Appreciation Week – We are looking for volunteers for the week of May 13-17! This is a fun-filled week to express our appreciation for the wonderful teachers and staff at CHA. The success of these parent-sponsored events depends largely on the generous contributions of time our members give. You can sign up here or contact Victoria Hunter at [email protected] or Steve Daly at [email protected] to assist at the event.
Co-Chair and Volunteers Needed for CHA Annual CHAPTER Picnic – We will be holding the CHAPTER Picnic at Vasa Park, June 2nd from 2:30 - 6:30. There are several opportunities to help out including handing out treats, setting up, assisting with the magic show and more. Please consider being a co-chair for this event or lending a hand for one of the various volunteer opportunities. Your help is needed to make it a success! You can sign up here, or contact Beth Danielson at [email protected] or Steve Daly at [email protected] to assist at the event.
End of Year Party & School’s Out Celebration - Please join Jerry and Brandi Huang at their residence on Saturday June 15th for an End-of-Year Celebration. Jerry and Brandi are graciously and bravely hosting CHA students and their families for this early summer event. They are asking that you RSVP no later than June 1st. You can find the evite at https://www.evite.com/event/003BJ4HMTMYQGACZWEPJJM3I7GHVR4/rsvp?
Holly Senaga, Head of School