- When greeted, stop and respond to the greeter making eye contact with the speaker, e.g. “Hello, how are you?” “Fine, thank you, and you?”
- When addressing adults, a title such as Mrs. Senaga will be used.
- The words “yeah” or “yup” will not be used when addressing an adult. “Yes,” “I see,” or “I understand,” are respectful responses.
- Use polite words in conversation, such as “excuse me,” “I am sorry,” and “thank you.”
- Apologize sincerely when you have made a mistake or hurt someone’s feelings.
- Positive feelings are promoted by avoiding put-downs, name calling, gossiping, or whispering about others.
- Express your disagreement or anger with appropriate words and tones of voice. If you are having a problem, seek help from an adult.
- Say “yes” when asked to help.
- Hold the door open for others.
- Stop and listen when someone is talking to you.
- Treat people with respect.
- Make an effort to include others.
- Take turns when appropriate.
- Walk around people who are engaged in a conversation.
- Include everyone in play.
Lunch and/or Snack Manners
- When passing food use “please” and “thank you.”
- Choose appropriate meal topics.
- Eat with your mouth closed.
- Do not talk with your mouth full.
- Put your napkin in your lap.
- Use a soft voice in the cafeteria.
- Clean up thoroughly (i.e. not splashing food on the walls and floors).
- Remember to throw away your garbage in the appropriate receptacle and to recycle whenever possible. Stay seated while eating.
CODE OF ETHICS
- Respect the school staff, my fellow students, and myself.
- Dress within the school dress code.
- Strive to be honest in my statements and actions.
- Honor the beliefs and customs of others.
- Display appropriate conduct and sportsmanship at school, on the bus, and at all school activities.
- Respect the property of others.
- Work to the best of my ability.
- Promote school cleanliness and the upkeep of school property.
- Make all visitors, parent volunteers, and substitute teachers feel welcome through my polite, helpful, and courteous behavior.
- Accept responsibility for my actions and attitudes and learn from my mistakes.
On joining CHA students and parents are required to complete the Code of Ethics Sign-Off that accompanies the CHA Parent and Student Handbook.