Chestnut Hill Academy is a private, secular, coeducational day school recognized for providing an exceptional learning environment that emphasizes high academic standards, a low student-to-teacher ratio, and a strong emphasis on leadership. The school caters for approximately 250 Kindergarten through Fifth Grade students.
Our students typically matriculate to leading private secondary schools including The Bush School, Eastside Preparatory School, Eastside Catholic, Forest Ridge, Lakeside, Overlake, Seattle Academy, and University Preparatory, as well as the local public schools.
Our progressive academic curriculum provides a wealth of learning opportunities supplemented by experiential field trips, enrichment activities and service-learning projects to help children reach their full potential. The Academy’s curriculum develops a broad foundation of knowledge and mastery of skills so that children become competent and confident learners as well as productive, responsible, and ethical members of today’s world.
Fun Facts about CHA
- Opened by Bill Alsdurf and Susan Peterson in 1998
- Chestnut Hill was chosen by Bill as the name because he liked the metaphor of children being nurtured and growing like trees
- Started with only 2 mixed age level classrooms with grades 1-4 and an Art specialist
- Lunch was prepared in the kitchen and served family style
- The school was year-round with 3 three week vacations (intersessions) between trimesters
- There were 5 computers, all named after flowers, and our intranet is still called The Garden!
- Musicals started as an intersession activity with all students who attended the intersession participating
- In 1999, a 3rd classroom was added, along with 5th Grade, Tech and PE specialists were hired, and CHA got a school bus for field trips
- In 1999 the school year became a traditional September – June year, and summer camp was added
- By 2006 CHA had outgrown the original campus and the Factoria Campus was opened