In this update:
- Important upcoming dates
- Newsletter Notifications
- Parent Handbook
- Extracurricular Classes
- Holly’s Office Hours
- Vakker School Portraits
- Curriculum Night
- Goal Setting Childcare
- Goal Setting Conferences
- After school pick-up
- Weekly Snack List
- CHAPTER Updates
Important upcoming dates:
- School Picture Day – Monday, September 10th
- Fall Extracurriculars start - Monday, September 10th
- All Parent CHAPTER Meeting – Thursday, September 20th, 5:00-6:00 pm
- Curriculum Night – Thursday September 20th, 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- Walk-a-Thon – Friday, September 21st, 1:00 – 3:00 pm
- Goal Setting Conferences – Thursday and Friday, September 27 – 28th
Dear CHA Community,
This week we began our journey through the First 8 Days of The Leader in Me introducing one of the 7 Habits for every day this week that will continue into next week. To date, students have learned how to prepare, learn, practice and live the following habits:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive – The Habit of Personal Responsibility (Student sets out their clothes the night before, places folder or binder in their backpack, etc.)
- Habit 2: Begin With The End In Mind – The Habit of Personal Vision (Student reads every night to increase stamina so that they can read for longer periods of time by the end of the trimester.)
- Habit 3: Put First Things First – The Habit of Personal Management (Students learn that you must do chores, homework or complete commitments before playing.)
“Our goal if we were to define effectiveness is to get the results we want today in such a way that we can get even better results in the future by creating an effective learning environment and a culture of inclusivity. Students first energies will go towards their own character development, which is often invisible to others, like the roots that sustain great trees. As we cultivate the roots, we will begin to see the fruits”. - Steven R. Covey. I’ll look forward to sharing the remaining habits and the practice students put in place throughout next week.
Newsletter Notifications - Please be on the lookout for your first weekly newsletter from your child’s teachers. This will come in the form of a notification from the website. There was a glitch earlier this week that is now resolved. If you do not receive a notification by tomorrow morning, please email Mrs. Morlidge at email@example.com.
Parent Handbook - The revised Parent Handbook has been uploaded to the Parent Portal on the school website and is hyperlinked here for your convenience. There is a paper slip coming home in your child’s Friday Folder. When you have read the handbook, please sign the slip and return to your child’s homeroom teacher in the Friday Folder.
Extracurricular Classes – There are still some classes with places, including Chess, Soccer, Ukulele, Math, Cooking, Creative Writing, Karate, Drama, Mandarin, Basketball, Test Prep, Robotics, Magic and Engineering. You can see full details and registration information here. Classes start on Monday, so don’t delay – sign up today! Please don’t forget that if you sign your child up for an extracurricular class, you also need to sign the Extracurricular Enrollment Agreement.
Holly’ Office Hours - To allow me to spend some time with the teachers and students, but still maintain my accessibility to parents, I am implementing some office hours when I will be available for ad hoc parent meetings. These hours will be 8:30 to 9:00 every morning and 2:30 – 3:30 every afternoon. Outside of these times, I will need parents to call ahead to make an appointment.
Vakker School Portraits – Monday, September 10th is picture day. All students need to be in Dress Uniform, even if Monday is your usual PE Day. You can find out everything you need to know about how to order photos on the Vakker Flyer which is available on the website Parent Portal, hyperlinked here and coming home in your first Friday Folder this week.
Curriculum Night - Come and meet your child’s grade level teachers, as well as the specialist teachers, and find out all about the curriculum your child will be studying. In addition, you will receive a lot more information relevant to your child and your family. Dinner will be served in the gym during the CHAPTER meeting which precedes this event. Presentations will be uploaded to the Grade Level Groups after the event for the benefit of those parents unable to attend. There is no childcare available for this event, and children cannot attend Curriculum Night.
Goal Setting Childcare - If you would like take advantage of the childcare we offer during Goal Setting Conference Days, you will need to sign up in advance, even if you already have an Extended Day package, so that we know how many staff we will require. The sign-up has been loaded to the website, is accessible via the Parent Portal and hyperlinked here for your convenience. This sign-up site closes Tuesday, September 25th at 11:45pm. Any sign-ups after this time will be considered late and a $50 late fee will be charged to your account.
Goal Setting Conferences - The links for you to sign up for goal setting conferences with teachers will be available from 8 am on September 14th, and close at 4 pm on September 25th.
Uniform - We have been asking Land’s End to take down items that are not part of our uniform, since we communicated the change in the uniform options to parents last year. The definitive guide to the uniform is the Uniform page of the website which includes the ‘Look Book’ of items that are included in uniform options. If you have purchased items from Land’s End that are no longer part of the uniform, please consider them grandfathered in while we phase out hand me downs!
After School Pick-Up Policy – If you are planning on picking up your child up at 3:00 or 3:30pm after school is released for the day then the most efficient way to pick up is to go directly to their classroom. Please wait outside the classroom door until the class is finished and then collect them as they walk out. If you choose to wait at the front desk and have them be called, please note that they will have to make their way outside to Extended Day first before they can be radioed, and you will have to wait a few additional minutes before they come to the front desk.
Specialist Newsletter – This will start next week when the specialist teachers have had a chance to meet with all classes.
Weekly Snack List – You can view the snacks Chef Megan will be offering next week here. If your child will not be eating the school snack you are welcome to send a nut free alternative to school in their backpack.
CHA’s PTA ‘CHAPTER’ Updates – It was wonderful to see all the parents at school this week helping our children start the school year with excitement and enthusiasm. Your involvement in the school this year and interest in their activities makes a tremendous impact on their success. CHAPTER (CHA’s PTA) will be hosting a few events this month, please mark your calendars and RSVP. Links to the All Parent Meeting RSVP, Fall and Walk-a-thon Volunteering are on chestnuthillacademy.com/Sign-Up. Thank you!
- CHAPTER All Parent Meeting 5:00 - 6:00 September 20th (prior to curriculum night). Learn more about CHAPTER’s mission, goals, budgets and plans for the 2018 - 2019 school year. Meet other CHA families and CHAPTER’s new Presidents, Susan Archer and Latosha Smith. Please RSVP.
- Fall Volunteering is open! Join in the activities and support our community. There are a number of opportunities to help out including the Walk-a-thon, Book Fair, Curriculum Night and Spelling Bee. Your time and talents are needed!
- Walk-a-Thon. One of CHAPTER’s most anticipated fund-raising events of the year! Our children enjoy the opportunity to raise money for their school and challenge themselves. Please help make the event a success by volunteering with set up, clean up, handing out treats, processing the pledges and other tasks.
Have a lovely weekend, Holly Senaga, Head of School