In this update:
- CHA Transitions
- Red Nose Day Coin Drive
- CHA Art Show Week
- Community Math Night
- Summer Tutoring
- CHAPTER End of Year Picnic
- Camp Explorations
- May 29th - Thursday, May 31st Submit pieces for CHA Art Show
- May 31st - June lunch orders close
- June 3rd - End-of-Year Picnic
- June 4th – June 8th Art Show Week
- June 7th - Community Math Night
- June 13th - Field Day
- June 14th - Moving Up Ceremony
- June 15th - No school, no childcare
- June 18th - First day of Camp Explorations
Dear CHA Community,
Whatever the long weekend finds you doing, I hope that you are enjoying a relaxing time with your family. Holly and I will be in Florida at the Bright Horizons Leadership Conference next week; we will be available via email if the need arises, but responses may be a little delayed depending on the workload down there! Without further ado, here are this week’s updates:
CHA Transitions - The end of the school year brings change, and not just for our students and families, but for our staff as well. We would like to thank the following staff members who are moving on from CHA. We will be saying goodbye and bon voyage to:
- Kristin Hawron moved to Washington last year from Arizona, has taught Kindergarten for one year, and will return to Arizona to teach in her hometown.
- Shelby McInerney moved to Washington last year from LA and has taught Kindergarten for one year. She will be moving with her husband and son this summer to Texas, where they are building their dream home.
- Laura Grieger has taught at CHA for the past four years and will return to Indiana with her husband, Trevor, who has accepted a position with Sales Force. They’re excited to buy their first home!
- Jenna Carpenter moved to Washington from Maryland last year, has taught Fifth grade, and will continue to teach in the local area.
- Melissa Lodwick has tried to retire every year, but I’ve been able to talk her into staying. However, this time she and her family will be moving to Florida next January.
- Sarah Hayes will be staying home to look after her baby when she arrives in August.
Whilst we are sad to see them go, we are happy for them, and for the opportunities this presents for other staff members to develop in their careers at CHA. We are excited to announce that Samantha Palladino will be joining Kristina Bernal and Jodie Newell in our Kindergarten Team; Christina Chow and Jordan Moore will be joining Danielle Carver and Raven Wilcox on the First Grade Team, and Marsha Setting will be our new librarian. We are also delighted to announce that, after taking a year out to have twins, Mrs. Hazel DeWitt will be rejoining the 5th Grade team.
Red Nose Day Coin Drive – Thank you for your generosity with your loose change during Red Nose Day. Our 4th grade students raised a whopping $1,217.96 as part of their service learning project! The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation have promised to triple donations from the drive up to $250K. Just goes to show that even a few pennies can make a world of difference when we add them all together.
CHAPTER End of Year Picnic – Please be on the lookout for an email from our PTA Communications person, Jan Matta, with everything you need to know about the upcoming picnic. You can view the flyer here.
CHA Art Show Week – CHA Art Show Week is just around the corner! (Monday, June 4th – Friday, June 8th) and the CHA artists have been very busy finishing up with their art show projects. We are very excited to present the artistic gifts and talents of our students! The students are welcome to enter 1 or 2 pieces of their choice by any time between Tuesday May 29th and Thursday, May 31st, to a table next to the front desk. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email Mrs. Choi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Eastside Catholic School – Talking of art shows, we are delighted to share with you the exciting news that two of our students won awards in the recent Eastside Catholic School Art Show. Arianna and Anhat, who are both 4th Grade students at CHA. Anhat won Best in Show, and Arianna won 1st Place in the 4th- 6th Grade Drawing Category. It’s clear from the photograph that they are both very talented artists. Well done girls!
Community Math Night - On Thursday, June 7th, we’ll be opening our doors and extending an invitation to parents in our local community to attend a Math Night evening with our resident math consultant, Tricia Salerno. This is an adult-only event with no childcare available, and dinner will be provided. Tricia will be sharing information on how to extend math learning at home and incorporate engaging math opportunities into the regular family routine. Participants can RSVP through the Facebook event or via email to email@example.com, and if you’d like to attend, we encourage you to bring a friend along! We appreciate you helping us to spread the word.
Summer Tutoring - We have three CHA teachers who are currently offering their services as summer tutors. You can see details of the subjects and grades they will tutor, as well as when they are available and how much they charge here.
Staff Throwback Bulletin Board - If you haven’t already yet seen it, we encourage you to take a moment to check out the bulletin board in the middle of the 2nd floor hallway! You’ll see a few familiar faces, albeit a bit younger … . Ms. Moore and Ms. Chow had some fun featuring childhood photos of many of our faculty. Can you guess who everyone is?
Holly Senaga, Head of School