In this update:
- Important Dates
- Presidents’ Day Assembly
- Lunar New Year Photos
- Dr. Seuss Week
- Sign Up Genius Page
- Awards of Excellence
- Camp Explorations
- CHAPTER Auction
- February 19th - President’s Day, CHA is closed – no school or childcare
- February 20th - 23rd - Mid Winter Break, no school, childcare provided
- February 26th - March 2nd Dr. Seuss Week
- March 2nd - Math Olympics
- March 7th - Parent Conferences & Childcare Sign Ups close
- March 10th - Gala Auction
- March 15th & 16th - Parent conferences
Dear CHA Community,
This week we bore witness to a devastating tragedy. The fact that it came a day after we practiced a lockdown and fire drill at CHA cements the necessity of practice and preparedness should such an event occur at our doors. My heart, like yours is broken and my mind is reeling as 17 students and educators lost their lives in a place that should not only be a safe haven, but a protector of futures. My thoughts and condolences are with all of those who lost family, friends, and role models in Parkland, Florida including members of our own community members who have ties there. Today, as we hug our own children and the children we care and educate for a little tighter, I am reminded once again of how valuable, critical, and impactful the work we do is. While I am overwhelmed with grief, I am also inspired by the heroic acts of so many in the face of such tragedy. We must be emboldened to act and to create a safer and more peaceful world. We do this through ongoing and continuous practice, discussion, awareness, and demonstration of care and concern for one another. Your partnership in keep our community safe is essential to our success.
Second Grade Assembly - Second Grade students led the CHA community through a phenomenal assembly educating the community on Black History. After leading the Pledge, school song, awarding Student Leaders, our second graders shared a PowerPoint presentation of the A to Z’s of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad through dialogue and song. Students shared many other interesting facts before inviting us to sing Lean On Me. Throughout February, students have been participating in a variety of activities for Black History Month. Students have listened to stories by authors Todd Parr and Ezra Jack Keats while reading and having book talks about books such as Little Leaders, Mae Among the Stars, Bud, Not Buddy, 28 Days: Moments in Black History That Changed the World, Women in Science 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World, She Persisted, and Ruby Bridges. Students will continue to participate in activities, topics and projects about the Civil Rights, segregation, Rosa Parks and many others upon their return.
Lunar New Year Photos - Mrs. Morlidge has uploaded the photos from the recent Lunar New Year and Valentine’s Day celebrations to our Flickr Photo Album. This is the link to the photos. https://www.flickr.com/photos/34997242@N07/albums You will need to be logged in for the link to work. If you already have a Flickr account, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating the email address associated with your Flickr account. Once you have logged in to the Flickr album you can view and download photos for free. Here is how:
- Hover over ‘You’ at the top and choose ‘People’ from the dropdown
- Click on Chestnut Hill Academy to go to CHA’s Photostream
- Photos are organized into albums year, grade and event.
- Click on ‘Albums’ and scroll down to the set you are interested in
- You can view photos individually or as a slideshow
- To download a photo, click on the download arrow in the bottom right corner when you are viewing the photo
Dr. Seuss Week Feb. 26 - Mar. 2nd - Mrs. Lodwick and the students have planned a week of fun activities, including dress up days, prize drawings, trivia, and a fun snack menu to celebrate Dr. Suess’ birthday!
- Monday: “One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish” How many fish are there? Be sure to stop by the front desk to make a guess and win a book! Drawing will take place Thursday at 3p.m.
- Tuesday: “Fox in Socks” In addition to Free Dress, wear your best pair of wacky socks.
- Wednesday: “Wacky Wednesday” Wear your most wacky outfit and outrageous socks (free dress is also permitted).
- Thursday: “Oh the Places You’ll Go” Wear a shirt of a place you have visited or would like to visit.
- Friday: “Cat in The Hat” - Free dress in addition to wearing a fun hat!
Sign Up Genius Page
The Sign Ups page on the website is one you are going to want to bookmark! We have added the links to sign up for slots at Parent Teacher Conferences, as well as the link to sign up for childcare during the conference. You will also find links to sign up to help with musical props and costumes, and the opportunity to help Tricia Salerno at the Math Olympics. Last, but by no means least, there is also a sign up to help with set up and take down at the upcoming auction. There is certainly no shortage of opportunities to get involved and make new friends this month!
Awards of Excellence – Don’t forget to make your nominations before Friday, February 23rd at www.brighthorizons.com/awards
CHAPTER Gala Auction – March 10th - The PTA’s main fundraiser of the year is just weeks away. Sign up closes todayfor what promises to be a wonderful evening - http://chapter.maestroweb.com/.
Be sure to visit the Summer Camp page of the website to find out all about the fun Camp Director, Brandon Poole, has planned. CHA families will receive a 10% Early Bird Discount on enrollment (not including the registration fee or Extended Day) for registration forms submitted by May 19th.
Holly Senaga, Head of School
“Providing an environment where children become educated global citizens, problem solvers, and life-long learners.”