Dear CHA Families,
It’s hard to believe that CHA will celebrate its 20th year on April 2, 2018! It seems like just yesterday we opened our current location in 2007 and we’ll now welcome a community of 820 students, families and staff to share in this extraordinary experience on September 6th for our first day of school. In order to prepare for the upcoming school year, please read the contents of this communication in its entirety.
Faculty and Staff Update - A new school year brings new opportunities to share changes in staffing as well as the addition of new faculty and staff. Please welcome the newest members of our community to CHA:
- Jodie Newell, Kindergarten Teacher transitioning from First Grade
- Shelby McInerney, Kindergarten Teacher
- Kristin Hawron, Kindergarten Teacher
- Raven Wilcox, First Grade Teacher
- Charis Whalen, First Grade Teacher, Short-term sub for Ms. Carver who will return on October 1st.
- Leah Morman, Second Grade Math Teacher transitioning from Third Grade
- Tiffany Watkins, Third Grade Social Studies/Science Teacher
- Marsha Setting, Third Grade Language Arts Teacher transitioning from Fourth Grade
- Jessica Springer, Fourth Grade Social Studies/Science Teacher
- Jeena Shamsen, Fourth Grade Language Arts Teachertranisitioning from Third Grade
- Jenna Carpenter, Fifth Grade Math/Science Teacher
To learn more about our Faculty, please follow the link to their profiles: http://www.chestnuthillacademy.com/directory
Community Building -Connecting and forming relationships with other community members is what makes CHA’s community so strong. Below are community events that will help us reconnect with familiar friends while we take time to form new relationships with incoming families, faculty and staff.
- Ice Cream Social – September 5th from 2:00-3:00 - CHAPTER (PTA) organizes ) organizes the social in partnership with CHA at the beginning of each school year to enable returning families and new families to meet while visiting their child’s classroom to meet their teacher and greet their classmates for the year. Ice Cream is provided and can be found on the field. This is the best way to begin to get to know your son’s or daughter’s friends and their parents as you head into the new school year.
- Vendor Fair – September 5th from 3:00-4:00 – CHA Gym - A wide range of Extracurricular classes are offered that give students the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of interested based activities. Vendors are looking forward to meeting you and answering any questions you may have regarding their program and the registration process. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Your child’s enrollment and space in the class will be confirmed by the Vendor once they receive the registration form and payment. To view the Extracurricular Calendar, please view this link: http://www.chestnuthillacademy.com/sites/chestnuthillacademy.com/files/fall_2017_schedule_2.pdf
- All CHAPTER (PTA) Meeting – September 21st from 5:30-6:30 – PARENTS WELCOME – Dinner Provided – Join the PTA for an overview of CHAPTER’s mission for the year, budget allocation and meet other community members.
- Curriculum Night – September 21st from 6:30-8:00 – PARENTS WELCOME – This is an opportunity to meet and hear from your child’s teachers regarding the goals, vision and curriculum for the upcoming year.
- First Day of School – September 6th- We’re looking forward to kicking off the school! Students should wear what they would normally wear on a Wednesday so dress uniform is not necessary. If they have PE on Wednesday’s (2nd and 3rd) they’ll wear their PE Uniform to school. All other grades may wear regular uniform options the first day of school. We look forward to seeing you at 8:30 unless you join us for AM Extended Day, which begins at 7:00 am.
- Picture Day – All Students in Dress Uniform- September 11TH – Please view the link for additional information: http://www.chestnuthillacademy.com/sites/chestnuthillacademy.com/files/vakker_-_cha_portrait_flyer.pdf
- Fall Festival – October 20th – 5:00-8:00 – CHA Faculty will host a dinner in support of the Bleeding Disorder Foundation from 5:00-6:00 and then host activities from 6:00-8:00 for families to participate in throughout including the much anticipated Haunted House.
- Campus Updates - This email goes out to CHA community members (parents, faculty & staff) every Friday. It includes information about upcoming events, volunteer opportunities, and other general announcements. The first weekly message will be sent on Friday, September 8th. If you haven’t done so, please add Holly Senaga’s email address (email@example.com) to your Contacts to ensure that your spam filter will not reject the CHA Campus Updates.
Parking - If you choose to drive your student to school please follow the Traffic Flow Map as well as the arrows that are marked on the pavement. The lane closest to the curb is the drop off lane. Students can exit your vehicle when your car is near the curb with the sidewalk. Do not drop students in the parking lot. The interior carpool lane is for moving traffic exiting the drop off lanes and parking stalls. No parking is allowed in the bus area. If you have to park, use the upper lot near the main entrance or the lower lot, but never stop your car in front of the building to drop off. Always use the crosswalks while in the parking lot and if you choose to park in the neighborhood. While in the drop off lanes please pull forward as cars in front of you depart. Always be alert and drive slow. Finally, for safety reasons, we highly discourage using our neighboring street for drop off and pick up unless you choose to walk up to the light and use the crosswalk to cross. We want to maintain good relations with our neighbors so please ensure their driveways and mailboxes are not blocked.
Shuttle - Shuttle Bus Sign Up - For your convenience, CHA offers a shuttle service to and from campus via Houghton Park and Ride (7024 116th Ave NE Kirkland, WA 98033) and Laguna South (14980 NE 31st Way, Redmond). If you would like your child to ride the shuttle please go to the Shuttle Info on the Campus Life section of the website to sign up. Shuttle services are available the first day of school.
Forms - Everyone has received communication regarding necessary forms required for your child to attend school on September 6th. If you need assistance, please contact Meagan Wehe at firstname.lastname@example.org .
There is much more to share with you throughout the year. I’m looking forward to celebrating year 20 alongside you at CHA!
Holly Senaga, Head of School
“Providing an environment where children become educated global citizens, problem solvers, and life-long learners.”