Since 1998, CHA has been dedicated to developing global leaders one child at a time. The founders of the school focused on the development of the whole child — their intellectual, emotional, social, physical, and character development. This remains the aim of CHA today. The school strives to develop intelligent, thoughtful, and caring leaders with educated hearts as well as educated minds. We never lose sight of why we are really here and that is to prepare children for further academic challenges and to guide them to be responsible, compassionate, and active leaders of the world.
The academic program at CHA is notably challenging, but sufficiently flexible to meet the individual needs of children with varying degrees of readiness and ability. Although significant attention is given to the academic subjects and the co-curricular programs of Spanish, Music, Art, Technology, Physical Education, and Library, we believe that the growth of the whole child, including his or her attitudes and values, is as important as any particular academic discipline, knowledge, or skill.
CHA strives to have a diversified student body. We are a community of learners who value and are strengthened by the wide variety of our members. We believe that diversity unites the academic environment and is of paramount importance in preparing our children for life in an increasingly diverse and complex society. We are a school where individual differences are respected, welcomed, and valued.
The only way to fully understand the magic of CHA is to see us in action. We invite you to schedule time to come and experience for yourself the school’s unique way of educating student leaders to be knowledgeable, confident, and resourceful learners.
The CHA environment:
- Inspires students to develop a love of learning and stimulates intellectual curiosity
- Fosters the development of respect, responsibility, and personal accountability
- Cultivates the unique talents of each community member
- Supports families and faculty in their growth—educationally, socially, and emotionally
- Encourages and challenges each member of the community to reach his or her full potential
- Promotes kindness, respect, and integrity within a safe and nurturing environment
The CHA Approach:
Chestnut Hill Academy’s teachers do more than just deliver instruction. They facilitate the learner in the learning process by utilizing innumerable “teachable moments” throughout the day, rather than simply tasking a child with sequential assignments. Growth entails a stretch beyond the easily attained. Our student centered program offers a solid foundation of academic excellence by providing opportunities for:
• Building self-confidence and self-worth
• Promoting independence through successful learning experiences
• Establishing a positive attitude toward learning
• Increasing social and emotional skills
• Participating in field trips and other meaningful learning experiences
• A curriculum that is challenging, engaging, and relevant
• High expectations
• A supportive environment in which each student’s needs are met
• Opportunities for student independence and leadership
• Regular and ongoing community service
• A thoughtful, comprehensive behavior policy including individual accountability and appropriate consequences
• Age-appropriate rituals, dress code, activities, and opportunities for exploration
• Special emphasis on leadership skills, critical thinking, independent and group projects, and character development.